VTX Telecom

FAQ - Billing, Payment & Tax Refund

About Bills,Payment and Federal Excise Tax Refund

What is Universal Service Fund (USF)?

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requires VTX Telecom and all long distance carriers to pay into the Universal Service Fund (USF), which helps provide affordable telephone service and gives schools, libraries, and rural healthcare providers access to the Internet. This cost is shared among all carriers' customers in giving back to the community.

What if there is a call on my bill that I don't recognize?

If you believe there is an error on your bill or have a question about your service, please call VTX Customer Support at 1-866-742-5889.

If you are not satisfied with VTX Telecom’s response, submit a complaint to the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) by visiting http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/complaints/. Billing and service complaints are handled by the CPUC’s Consumer Affairs Branch (CAB), which can be reached by the following means if you prefer not to submit your complaint online:

Telephone: 1-800-649-7570 (8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday)

Mail: California Public Utilities Commission, Consumer Affairs Branch, 505 Van Ness Avenue, Room 2003, San Francisco, CA 94102

If you have limitations hearing or speaking, dial 711 to reach the California Relay Service, which is for those needing direct assistance relaying telephone conversations, as well their friends, family, and business contacts. If you prefer having your calls immediately answered in your mode of communication, dial one of the toll-free language-specific numbers below to be routed to the California Relay Service provider.

Type of Call Language Toll-free 800 Number
TTY/VCO/HCO to Voice English
Voice to TTY/VCO/HCO English
From or to Speech-to-Speech English & Spanish 1-800-854-7784

To avoid having service turned off while you wait for the outcome of a complaint to the CPUC specifically regarding the accuracy of your bill, please contact CAB for assistance. If your case meets the eligibility criteria, CAB will provide you with instructions on how to mail a check or money order to be impounded pending resolution of your case. You must continue to pay your current charges while your complaint is under review to keep your service turned on.

If I request a credit, when will it appear on my bill?

An approved credit will appear on your bill within two billing cycles.

How do you charge taxes?

Federal excise tax is charged approximately 3% of the total bill. Other charges vary state by state and differ locality by locality. However, while other providers may group under charges to generic "Federal", "State", and "Local" taxes, we break down these specific charges applicable and itemize them in detail.

How do I pay for the service?
  • The statement will indicate the amount to be paid, including tax, basic monthly fee and your usage.
  • We accept checks and money order through mail. Cash is not accepted at this time.
  • You can use your bank's bill-pay service so as long as they send to our address with your account number.
  • You may also register My Account and pay your bills online. We currently accept online payment through credit card or PayPal. To register, simply have your billing statement at hand, then follow the step-by-step instruction. After you’ve registered My Account, you may pay bills online or view previous bills of up to 12 months. Click on Help on My Account for any additional information.
What information will be shown on my monthly statement?
  • Each monthly statement will provide you your complete long distance call record for that particular month; including destination number, connection length and connection time and date.
  • We also outline the fees and charges.
  • We will help you take care of everything involved in switching to us as your long distance carrier. Just call 1-866-742-5889.
If I am going to use a pre-paid calling card, will I be charged by your service?
  • As long as you enter the access number correctly, all calls place by your phone card will not go through our system and you will not be charged.
  • However, if your calling card provides local access number, please check the number with your local phone service provider first. You will be charged if you are calling to an access number outside of your local calling area.
What kind of payment method do you accept?
  • We accept check and money order through mail.
  • Check and money order is payable to VTX Telecom. PO BOX 526027, Sacramento, CA 95852-6027
  • Do not send cash.
  • We also accept online payment through credit card or PayPal. Please register your VTX account to pay your bills online.
When should I pay my bill?

To avoid late payment fees, pay your bill by the Payment Date that appears on page 1 of your statement. Please pay your bill early so your payment can be cleared before the payment date. If you have a Balance Forward from the previous month, you should pay this amount immediately.If you have registered My Account to pay your bills online, you may choose to receive monthly reminders via emails, so you’ll remember to view and pay the bills.

What happens if I do not pay my bill on time?

Late payment and collection notices will be sent via U.S. Mail. Late payment charges may apply.

How are late charges calculated?
  • Late charges are calculated on a state-specific basis.
  • Each state's public utilities commission approves the late payment charge percentage, which is assessed on charges that remain unpaid beyond the "Late Payment Charge Due Date" located on your bill. It is approximately 1.5% of your balance.
When do I expect to receive my statement every month?

We will send you your monthly statement the week of the day your long distance service was switched to VTX Telecom.

What is the federal excise tax refund?

It is a one-time refund of Federal Excise Tax (FET) that was paid on nontaxable communications services billed to you from March 1, 2003 through July 31, 2006. The refund is the result of a change in the government’s position regarding the taxability of certain telephone services, including long-distance telephone service, all-distance calling plans, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) and wireless service plans. However, the FET still applies to local communications services and therefore the refund does not include FET paid on local service.

How do I claim the refund?

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has provided detailed information on how to obtain the refund, which can only be claimed on your 2006 federal income tax return. The information can be found at www.irs.gov. The IRS may also be reached at 1-800-829-1040 (Residential) or 1-800-829-4933 (Business).

How much is the refund?

There are two ways of claiming the refund. If you do not wish to gather old phone bills and calculate a refund, the IRS is offering a standard refund amount between $30 and $60. Taxpayers will only need to fill out one line on their tax returns to claim the standard amount. If you wish to calculate your own refund, you should keep complete copies of your telephone and fill out another form along with the regular tax returns.

Are copies of old telephone bills still available?

Yes. Copies of old telephone bills are available upon your request, with a $3.00 charge for each monthly statement that is more than one year old. It will take up to 10 business days to process your record, excluding the mailing time. Please call our customer representatives to make the request. If you have registered My Account, you may view your previous bills in .pdf files of up to 12 months.

You are here: FAQ Billing, Payment & Tax Refund